Master of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (MAOM)
The goal of the Master of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (MAOM) program is to train you to become a licensed acupuncturist. Most states require the Master’s level programs as accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine as the minimum degree level to practice acupuncture and herbal medicine.
Your Future Career
Depending on who you ask and where you search for information, the range of salaries may be anywhere from $30,000 to $200,000. Similar to other medical professions, how well you do in your career will depend on your medical knowledge, treatment techniques, and communication skills, and mastering these skill will greatly impact your income. Consequently, choosing the right school is crucial in dictating your future success. Our college’s philosophy is to provide you with the most rigorous and thorough curriculum and diverse clinical training as possible so that you have the greatest chance of success.
Our Strong Program to Improve Your Success
Our college’s success and worldwide reputation is based on several factors:
- Our clinics have seen over 135,385 patients since 2005, giving you a tremendous amount of experience.
- Our 6 sister schools, which are top universities in China and Taiwan, will give you the option to rotate in their hospital departments, which will further help you gain advanced techniques and ways that other countries treat patients.
- Our collaboration with one of the top hospital systems in the country for over 10 years, the Houston Methodist Hospital Healthcare System, has allowed us to successfully develop successful patient treatment protocols so that you learn how various cases integrate Eastern and Western modalities.
- Our patient charting and pain protocol, which you learn, is the only of its kind to have ever been accredited by the American Academy of Pain Management.
- Our connections with other universities worldwide allows us to continuously improve our curriculum so that you are learning from the best universities and minds in the world. This was shown in our college hosting the 2014 World Federation of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Societies, which attracted 906 professionals from 36 countries. Our students were able to choose from 200 different abstracts to attend.
- Our institution is both regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges and programmatically accredited by Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. You will have the peace of mind that your degree is recognized.
- Our program is approved by the California Acupuncture Board, allowing our students to take the California licensure examination in the event our graduates decide to move there.
Many of our graduates have opened their own practice, begun working in hospitals and wellness centers, and are involved in research. We also offer the opportunity for recent graduates to apply into our college professional clinic. This will allow you to start seeing patients and building your practice without incurring any overhead costs.
Overview of the Program
Once enrolled in the program, you will participate in didactic courses and clinical training. The program includes 163 total credits. You will learn acupuncture and herbology extensively (361 regular points, 300 herbs, 200 formulas), along with tai-chi and qi-gong, tui-na, biomedical sciences, professional development, integrated medicine, clinical medicine studies, and clinical training. For more detailed degree plan and course descriptions, please fill out the form “Request Info” on this page.
Length of the Program and Schedule
One of the benefits of our program is its flexibility. Although the 163 credit degree program is intended to be completed in 12 semesters, you can complete the program in 18 semesters if necessary. Most of the courses are in the evenings while clinical training is in the daytime and Saturdays.
Tuition and Fees
Effective Fall 2015, tuition is $382 per credit. Based on 12 semester completion, together with estimated fees the total tuition for the entire program is about $64,366 (~$16,092 per year). Federal financial aid is available along with payment plans. If you apply early, you will also qualify for institutional scholarships. Scholarships will be based on both first come first serve basis on completed applications as well as merit. If you are interested in receiving scholarships, please begin your application by clicking APPLY.
Application deadline for Fall 2015 applications is August 11, 2015. Classes begin September 2, 2015.
Request More Information
Fill out the “Request Info” form if you would like to receive the following:
- degree plan
- course descriptions
- listing of our world renown faculty
- sample schedule
- sitting in a class
- getting a catalog emailed
- getting your transcript evaluated for potential transfer credits
- getting more information about financial aid